Connect with us


Family suspects racism played role in death of Black Missouri man initially ruled suicide

Ericka Lotts waited three months for a jury to tell her what she always believed — that her first-born child, Derontae Martin, did not fatally shoot himself at a house party in rural Missouri.

On April 25, her son was found unconscious in an attic closet, dead from a gunshot wound to his left temple. Martin was at the Fredericktown home of a white man who has posted racist memes on social media, which NBC News has viewed.

Lotts, 37, said authorities concluded that Martin, 19, who was Black, died by suicide and repeatedly told her that she was in denial about the nature of her son’s death.

Lotts felt publicly vindicated on July 30 after a jury of six people ruled during a coroner’s inquest hearing that Martin was killed by violence.

“I already knew he was killed violently. It wasn’t a shock to me,” Lotts said Thursday. “I was just happy they let it be known that somebody needs to speak up and let these people pay for what they did.”

Derontae Martin.via KSDK

‘This is what they wanted it to be’

NBC News obtained investigative documents from the police investigation into Martin’s mysterious death from a doctor who performed an independent autopsy. Records show that police investigated allegations of racism and foul play by the homeowner. NBC News is not naming him because he has not been charged with a crime.

Police and medical personnel who handled the initial death investigation were blinded by tunnel vision, Lotts said.

“This is what they wanted it to be,” she said. “When they walked in that house and they seen Derontae was a Black male, they were sure he had shot himself. That’s all the information they needed.”

A witness told police in June that he had a conversation with the homeowner at a Walmart in May and that the homeowner used a racial slur before admitting to having participated in Martin’s death, according to a report from the Missouri State Highway Patrol.

According to what the witness told police, the homeowner approached him and asked whether he wanted to “come out there and kill some n——.” When the witness declined, police said, he asked the homeowner whether the rumors were true that he was responsible for Martin’s death.

“Damn right I did,” the homeowner told him, according to the witness statement. The witness then told police how the homeowner “described ways to get away with murder via wearing gloves, face coverings, etc,” the highway patrol report said.

The homeowner could not be reached for comment during the past week.

Reports said investigators with the highway patrol asked the homeowner about the alleged conversation with the witness. The man told police that he may have used racial slurs, but he rebutted an admission of murder.

He agreed to take a polygraph test, which indicated that his answers were “nondeceptive in nature,” the highway patrol said in its report. The homeowner also testified during the inquest that he had used racial slurs in the past and on social media but that he did not kill Martin.

Police have only ever concluded Martin took his own life. The homeowner has never been arrested or charged in connection with Martin’s death.

The Daily Journal of Park Hills reported that the witness who spoke to the highway patrol testified about his encounter with the homeowner at the Walmart.

The man who accused the homeowner of admitting to killing Martin told NBC News that everything he said on the witness stand was true.

“I wouldn’t let it come out my mouth if it wasn’t true,” the man said. He added: “I don’t know if [he] was telling the truth or not. I just know what he told me.”

Madison County Prosecutor M. Dwight Robbins did not respond to calls during the past week for comment about how the investigation will proceed. Coroner Collin Follis also did not respond to requests for comment.

Dr. Russell Deidiker, the pathologist who performed an initial autopsy on Martin, rejected Lotts’ allegation that racism influenced investigators. He said Monday by email that Martin’s race did not affect how he conducted the autopsy.

The two police agencies that investigated Martin’s death — the highway patrol and the Madison County Sheriff’s Office — referred questions to Robbins and Follis.

The jury ruled that Martin was killed violently, rather than by natural causes, an accident or suicide.

Robbins told NBC affiliate KSDK of St. Louis that he likes to call an inquest if there is uncertainty about a death. Inquests occur in counties that do not have medical examiners, KSDK reported.

Lotts’ attorney, Nimrod Chapel Jr., said by text message Monday: “The jury’s decision shows that there are fair minded people that can see that Mr. Martin was the victim of gross violence and that the decision of local law enforcement and the coroner are unsupported on the facts.

“Ms. Lotts and her family are seeking the truth and want the individuals involved in the death of her son Derontae Martin brought to justice.”

Details emerge about the party where Martin died

Police and medical documents shed light on how Martin died during a pre-dawn shooting at an 18th birthday party for the homeowner’s daughter.

They expose critical details, such as that a 31-year-old man said he gave Martin a .38-caliber semi-automatic pistol. The same man told police that a 19-year-old man was allegedly with Martin when the gun was fired. Several partygoers said Martin was acting erratically and paranoid, police reports said.

“Methamphetamine intoxication” may have contributed to his death, according to Martin’s initial autopsy report from Deidiker. The report also said Martin died from a gunshot wound to his left temple that showed “evidence of near contact range of fire.”

Martin’s mother said her son did not do heavy drugs but had been prescribed pain medication following surgery on his right wrist shortly before the shooting.

The morning of Martin’s death, police were called to the home at about 3 a.m. for a report that a man had shot himself in the head. The homeowner directed a Madison County sheriff’s deputy to the attic, according to a police report.

“I discovered a silver in color semi-automatic pistol directly below his left hand with the muzzle pointed in the direction of his hand in a pool of Martin’s blood. … The pistol was no longer loaded with bullets at the time I secured it,” the sheriff’s office report said. Police said Martin’s right hand was in a cast, according to reports.

The man who said he gave Martin the gun — with one bullet in the chamber and a magazine missing — told police that a male teen was in the room with Martin pleading with him not to shoot himself, according to police reports. The teen then “ran out of the room after the shot was heard” and was seen crying and heard yelling “‘NO NO NO’ loudly,” according to the sheriff’s office report.

The man who said he gave Martin the gun told police in an interview in June that he gave it to him for security after Martin said he felt unsafe. A coroner’s report from Follis said the homeowner and the man who gave Martin the gun “appeared heavily intoxicated” when he arrived.

NBC News was unable to reach the man who told police that he gave Martin the gun and the man who was reported to have been in the attic with Martin when the gun was fired.

Investigators reported observing an apparent suicide scene.

“It appeared the injury sustained by Martin was a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head. The closet in which the incident occurred was very small. Martin had a cast on his right hand and was shot in the left temple,” the highway patrol said in a report.

“The way Martin’s body was laying appeared consistent with a direct fall to the floor,” the report said. “It did not appear his body had been drug or moved after he was shot, according to the pool of blood in the pictures.”

A witness told investigators that Martin “seemed off, bothered, paranoid.” A female witness wrote in a voluntary statement that Martin was not himself, police reported.

“He kept looking all over the place, moving really fast saying ‘I can’t do this. I can’t do this right now,'” the witness told police.

Police said an additional witness told them that Martin asked her, “Why did you set me up?”

A man also told highway patrol investigators that he had heard that Martin was set up, because there was a rumor on social media that Martin was an informant who helped send a man to jail over a shooting months earlier. Police could not substantiate the man’s claim, a highway patrol report said.

Forensic pathologist says death should be investigated as homicide

Dr. Jane Turner, a forensic pathologist in St. Louis who conducted a second autopsy commissioned by Martin’s family, said last week that she determined that Martin was not shot at close or intermediate range.

She said she reached the conclusion without the aid of supplemental evidence, such as autopsy photos and investigative photos. She also said she examined Martin’s body after he had been embalmed against his mother’s wishes, which may have been why his body showed no evidence of soot from gunpowder during a second autopsy May 11.

“It does need to be investigated as a homicide. Whether they’ll be able to find evidence of that is another matter,” Turner said.

Lotts, who works as a medical assistant at a nursing home, said the months since her son died have been hell. She said she does not have faith that investigators will get it right, even a second time around.

Martin, who stood about 6-foot-3 and weighed about 250 pounds, graduated from high school last year and scored a scholarship to play football at a small school out of state. He was working to improve his SAT score so he could become eligible to play in college, Lotts said. Martin also worked at a Walmart and a restaurant during the past year.

“He wanted to play football because he didn’t want to be broke,” she said. “He felt like that was his way out.”

Lotts, who has five children, said she misses her eldest’s presence, which was as big as his stature. She fondly recalls how he once made himself a sandwich stacked with four chicken patties and how he scarfed an entire bag of 44 pizza rolls and quipped, “It was only enough for me.”

She cried throughout a conversation about her son’s life and death.

“I just miss everything about him,” Lotts said. “His smile. His laughter.”

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


Pop mogul Simon Cowell was a racing flop with ‘awful’ £35,000 horse he owned with Ant and Dec – that didn’t win a penny

SIMON COWELL conquered the music world – but his foray into racing ended in disaster with an ‘awful’ £35,000 horse he owned with Ant and Dec.

The music mogul, 62, has done it all with bands like One Direction, Little Mix and solo acts Olly Murs and James Arthur, to name but a few.

Cowell owned an 'awful' £35,000 horse with Ant and Dec - but the runner didn't win a single penny in six races


Cowell owned an ‘awful’ £35,000 horse with Ant and Dec – but the runner didn’t win a single penny in six racesCredit: PA:Press Association
Cowell remains a massive racing fan and loves Royal Ascot and the Epsom Derby


Cowell remains a massive racing fan and loves Royal Ascot and the Epsom Derby

His Syco label – plus shows such as Britain’s Got Talent – have dominated the entertainment industry and brought him an estimated net worth of £385m.

A lover of Royal Ascot and the Epsom Derby, he looked perfectly poised to strike a knockout blow in the world of thoroughbreds.

But it turns out his runner was far from No1 in the charts – and never even finished better than fifth during a doomed six-race career.

Things looked promising at the start.

Named It’s A Yes From Me, the runner was trained with the respected James Fanshawe and sent off at 8-1 for his first race in June 2014.

But coming last of five by 13-and-a-half lengths was unfortunately about as good as it got for the gelding.

A month’s rest followed before he was sent off at 40-1 in a six-furlong sprint at Doncaster.

But there he could only manage fifth again, and it was same at Redcar the next month.

‘Dreadfully slow’

By October that year – with further finishes of sixth and tenth – It’s A Yes From Me came second-last in a one-mile race at Kempton.

One analysis of the race warned punters the horse was ‘one to tread carefully’ with.

Well, Cowell and Ant and Dec took that advice to heart as they never raced him again.

The horse was penniless from six races, never finishing high enough to recoup some of that £35,000 investment.

It’s doubtful Cowell, with hundreds of millions in the bank, lost any sleep over that.

But Ant and Dec revealed just how bad things has got with the horse during an interview last year.

Dec said of It’s A Yes From Me: “It was awful, it was a dreadfully slow horse.

“It wasn’t a racehorse it was just a horse, because it didn’t race.

“Every time we got to the BGT studio Simon would say, ‘I keep paying stable fees on this horse, but I’ve never seen it run’.”

Cowell originally wanted to name the nag after himself, but they settled on It’s A Yes From Me when they bought it in 2013.

‘It was awful’

Dec revealed its eventual fate: “I think it got rehomed.”

Of course it’s not all been bad for Cowell at the races.

He was one of the exclusive few at the Epsom Derby in June, having a great time with partner Lauren Silverman and Piers Morgan.

And two weeks later he was at Royal Ascot – where he first discovered his love of racing.

Cowell told SunSport’s Matt Chapman during a chat at Epsom: “I’ve got my son Eric with me today.

“My mum and dad years ago used to take me to Ascot and I was probably about his age – seven or eight.

Cowell with partner Lauren at Epsom earlier this year


Cowell with partner Lauren at Epsom earlier this yearCredit: Getty
It's A Yes From Me trails behind in last during one of his six races


It’s A Yes From Me trails behind in last during one of his six races
The music supremo tweeted about his horse's bad start... which never got much better


The music supremo tweeted about his horse’s bad start… which never got much better

Most read in Horse Racing

“So the fact I can now bring him to the races as well is brilliant. It brings back a lot of good memories.

“Making TV shows is my passion. But racing is actually my second passion.”

He hasn’t made that passion the money-maker his music label is, but don’t rule out Cowell staging his own comeback at the track in the near future.


Commercial content notice: Taking one of the bookmaker offers featured in this article may result in a payment to The Sun. 18+. T&Cs apply.

Remember to gamble responsibly

A responsible gambler is someone who:

  • Establishes time and monetary limits before playing
  • Only gambles with money they can afford to lose
  • Never chases their losses
  • Doesn’t gamble if they’re upset, angry or depressed
  • Gamcare –
  • Gamble Aware –

Commercial content notice: Taking one of the bookmaker offers featured in this article may result in a payment to The Sun. 18+. T&Cs apply.

Remember to gamble responsibly

A responsible gambler is someone who:

  • Establishes time and monetary limits before playing
  • Only gambles with money they can afford to lose
  • Never chases their losses
  • Doesn’t gamble if they’re upset, angry or depressed
  • Gamcare –
  • Gamble Aware –
Continue Reading


Minnesota wildfire doubles in size, creates its own weather

A wildfire in northeastern Minnesota more than doubled in size Tuesday, growing to more than 19,000 acres, after it produced pyrocumulous clouds that generated lightning and even raindrops, fire officials said.

The Greenwood Fire’s growth, most of which happened Monday afternoon, prompted firefighters to leave McDougal Lake, about 80 miles south-southwest of Duluth, officials said. Authorities fear that structures might have been destroyed or damaged.

“We had crews embedded, and as this fire took off, it was quite an effort to communicate with forces on the ground so they could get out,” said federal fire incident spokesman Clark McCreedy.

The pullout was a success, and no injuries were reported. However, downed trees and necessary cleanup mean crews have been unable to assess damage around the lake, McCreedy said.

In addition to the firefighter pullout, 159 dwellings were evacuated Monday, according to an update from the National Wildfire Coordinating Group. Cabins, homes and recreational sites remain under threat, the group said.

Patrick Prochaska, a Minneapolis resident who built a cabin near McDougal Lake in 2012, told NBC affiliate KARE that he watched via security camera as flames mostly bypassed his property Monday, causing minor damage.

“I was feeling very scared,” he said. “At the same time, I could see that it was not doing anything to the house, and it was kind of reassuring.”

The fire in and north of Superior National Forest has mostly performed according to the weather, fire officials said. On Monday, with dry fuel on the ground and temperatures in the high 80s, it was an expanding inferno punctuated by strobes of lightning.

“The winds were drawn into the fire from all directions,” the incident’s fire behavior analyst, Michael Locke, said in a video update Tuesday. “It created what we call pyrocumulous clouds. And really high in the atmosphere … you’d see a thunderstorm, and in fact they went high enough to produce a few sprinkles of rain and even some lightning.”

Temperatures dipped into the mid-70s Tuesday, and the blaze mellowed. “The real story was cloud cover and cooler temperatures,” McCreedy said.

More of the same, and possibly rain, was in the forecast, giving officials hope that they might be able to close the book on an unusually active and dry fire season in Minnesota.

Experts have said climate change has set the stage for extreme weather, including an increase in the frequency and intensity of wildfires in the Northern Hemisphere.

Firefighters — 426 were assigned to the Greenwood event — have been confronted with “prolonged, severe drought,” making parts of Minnesota look like the fire-prone West this summer, McCreedy said.

The Greenwood Fire, which was detected Aug. 15, is believed to have been sparked by lightning.

So far, firefighters have scored no containment, and areas including McDougal Lake, Sand Lake and the Highway 2 corridor have been under mandatory evacuation orders. The federal Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness was closed Saturday “due to active and increasing fire activity, extreme drought, limited resources,” the National Forest Service said in a notice.

Officials set a goal of Sept. 1 for full containment.

“We’re probably going to get more of that moderating weather for the rest of the week,” McCreedy said. “That opens the door for fire crews to make progress on the ground.”

Continue Reading


Hiker survives grizzly bear attack at Denali National Park

A tourist from Indiana was attacked and injured by a grizzly bear at Denali National Park and Preserve in Alaska on Monday night, park officials said.

The 55-year-old tourist, whose name was not released, was hiking alone in dense fog in the Thoroughfare Pass area when a mother bear and multiple cubs charged him from nearby bushes, the National Park Service said in a statement Tuesday.

He had puncture wounds to a calf, his left ribs and his left shoulder, the agency said.

The victim used bear spray that might have cut the attack short, the park service indicated. He walked 1.5 miles to a visitor’s center where “medical personnel” vacationing at Denali treated him as a park bus driver called 911, it said.

The hiker was taken to a medical center near the park before he was transferred to Fairbanks Memorial Hospital, about 120 miles away, park officials said. He was stabilized at the Fairbanks hospital, they said.

“Due to the apparent defensive nature of this attack, there are no plans to locate the bear involved,” the park service said. “Female bears with cubs are naturally defensive of their young, especially when surprised. There is no indication that this bear is unusually dangerous.”

Grizzly bears are federally protected as a threatened species in the lower 48 states. According to the National Wildlife Federation, fewer than 1,500 grizzlies are left in the lower 48, but they thrive, comparatively, in Alaska, where they have a population of about 31,000.

The backcountry area of the attack is closed for one week as a precaution, the park service said.

Continue Reading


Copyright © 2021 Insight Global.